Turkey and Cannellini Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes
Turkey and Cannellini Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes is a tasty soup for anyone who likes the distinctive flavor of rosemary.
I guess I’ve had turkey soup on the brain, because after I shared my ideas for using leftover turkey, I made this new version of turkey soup, and also turkey and white bean chili over the weekend. I’ll save the turkey chili recipe for a while, but I thought I’d post this soup recipe just in case there are people who still have leftover turkey.
I love to create new soup recipes, and this soup with turkey, Cannellini beans, sweet potatoes, and rosemary was definitely a winner. Use Soup Recipes to find more tasty ideas for soup!
How to Make Turkey and Cannellini Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I cooked the rosemary along with the onions and celery to get plenty of rosemary flavor in the soup.
- I made this soup in my favorite blue enamel-coated cast iron dutch oven, but you could make this in any large pot, or even in a CrockPot.
- For crockpot version, I would use about 1/3 less liquid and increase the herbs slightly.
More Ways to Cook with Rosemary
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup
Rosemary Mustard Grilled Chicken
Roasted Butternut Squash with Lime and Rosemary
White Bean Soup with Ham and Rosemary
Grilled Lamb Chops with Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme
- 1 onion, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped rosemary leaves (I used frozen rosemary, but if you use dried rosemary use a bit less and be extra careful that it’s finely chopped)
- 1 small orange sweet potato, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (see notes)
- 6 cups homemade turkey stock (see notes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups diced leftover turkey
- one 15 oz. can Cannellini beans, rinsed well
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in bottom of dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and chopped rosemary leaves and saute about 5 minutes.
- While onion and celery cooks, peel and chop sweet potato, then add to pan and cook about 5 minutes more.
- Add homemade turkey stock and bay leaves and bring to a slight simmer.
- Let cook about 10 minutes while you chop turkey and drain and rinse beans.
- Add diced turkey, rinsed and drained Cannellini beans, and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Then let soup simmer over low heat about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Turkey and Cannellini Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Rosemary would be too high in carbs for a low-carb diet plan, but this soup would be approved for Phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.