Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado – Slow Cooker or Instant Pot (Video)
Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado start with beef cooked in the slow cooker or Instant Pot with Mexican flavors. The beef is shredded apart and made into delicious tacos with low-carb tortillas. Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the Video of the Slow Cooker Version to see if you might want to make
Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado!
Slow cooker (or Instant Pot) shredded beef tacos are a recipe idea with endless variations, but what makes me crazy over these Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado is the addition of spicy slaw and avocado. I love the spicy slaw that comes with fish tacos, and that spicy cabbage mixture was just as good here. And don’t you love sneaking some healthy cabbage into a taco recipe?
I used my favorite low-carb whole wheat tortillas, and two of these tacos made a great dinner for me, but if you want even less carbs you could make lettuce wraps or eat the shredded beef over the cabbage, for a slightly different variation of my Slow cooker Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl.
And if you prefer to make the shredded beef in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, you can use my recipe for Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos to make the meat! If you’re already thinking about Cinco de Mayo Dinner ideas, this recipe would be perfect for that.
I used a boneless chuck roast for the meat. I trim all the visible fat and pieces of gristle and save the meat scraps in the freezer to make homemade beef stock. Cut the meat in several pieces and rub all the pieces with steak seasoning. I know some of you don’t like to brown the meat when you’re cooking it in the slow cooker, but I promise it makes a huge difference in the flavor. While the meat browns, mix together the salsa, can of diced green chiles, lime juice, taco seasoning, and just a tiny bit of salt to make the cooking sauce. I used my favorite Pace Picante Sauce, but any salsa without added sugar would be good.
Put the browned meat in the slow cooker, pour the sauce over, and cook on low until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork – about 6 hours. (I used my Crock-Pot 2.5-Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe. If your slow cooker is much larger than that, I would recommend doubling the recipe so the slow cooker is at least half full. The last photo is how the meat looked in my slow cooker when it was done, swimming in sauce.
Remove the pieces of meat to a cutting board, put the sauce in a small pan, and simmer on medium until the sauce has thickened and reduced by about half, about 10 minutes. While the sauce is reducing, use a fork to pull the meat apart, and put it back in the slow cooker so it stays warm. When it’s thickened and reduced, mix the sauce into the meat. I used my favorite low-carb whole wheat tortillas which are the 6 inch size, perfect for soft tacos. These whole wheat tortillas have a lot of fiber, which makes the net carbs really low.
Combine the shredded green cabbage, shredded red cabbage, chopped cilantro, mayo, greek yogurt, and green Tabasco sauce to make the spicy slaw. Cut up the avocado and toss it with 2-3 tsp. of lime juice. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and cook the tortillas, turning often. As soon as they start to slightly harden, fold the circle in half to make a taco shell. To assemble the taco, spread 2-3 tablespoons of meat on the bottom of the shell, top with a thin layer of slaw and a couple of spoonfuls of avocado. Enjoy!
More Mexican Flavors in the Slow Cooker:
The BEST Slow Cooker Mexican Food Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Chicken Fajitas in the CrockPot ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Slow Cooker Beef Tacos from Food Bloggers ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Browns-in-the-Crockpot Spicy Ground Beef ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado - Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Beef roast is cooked in the slow cooker with Mexican flavors; then it’s shredded apart for these Shredded Beef Tacos. Use the link below if you prefer to make it in the Instant Pot!
Ingredients for Shredded Beef
- a lean chuck roast, about 2 1/2 – 3 lbs. before trimming
- 1 T steak seasoning of your choice (I make my own steak seasoning.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil, for browning meat
- 1 1/4 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles (Anaheim chiles, not jalapenos)
- 2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 T taco seasoning
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
Ingredients for Tacos
- 8 whole wheat or low carb flour tortillas, 6 inch size
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2-3 tsp. fresh squeezed lime juice, to toss with avocado
- cut lime pieces to squeeze on tacos (optional)
- extra green Tabasco sauce for serving (optional)
Ingredients for Spicy Slaw
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, very thinly sliced, then slightly chopped
- 1/4 small head red cabbage, very thinly sliced, then slightly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T mayo
- 2 T fat free Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp. green Tabasco sauce (or use your favorite hot sauce)
- Trim all visible pieces of fat and gristle from the chuck roast and cut it into several pieces. (I save the meat scraps in the freezer to make homemade beef stock.)
- Rub the pieces of roast all over with steak seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and brown the meat well on all sides, about 8 minutes total browning time.
- While the meat browns, mix together the salsa, diced green chiles, lime juice, taco seasoning, and a little salt.
- Put the browned meat into the slow cooker, pour the sauce over, and cook on low until the meat is tender and shreds apart easily, about 6 hours.
- When the meat is done, remove it to a cutting board.
- Pour the sauce mixture into a small pan and simmer on medium until the sauce thickens and reduces by about half, about 10 minutes.
- Shred the meat apart with two forks and put it back in the slow cooker to keep warm.
- When the sauce has reduced, mix it with the meat and continue to keep warm in the slow cooker.
- Thinly slice and chop the cabbage and chop the cilantro.
- Mix together the mayo, Greek yogurt and green Tabasco sauce to make the dressing and mix it with the cabbage.
- Dice the avocados and toss with the lime juice.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and cook 2 or 3 tortillas at a time (whatever you can fit in the pan.)
- Turn tortillas several times until they are just starting to get firm, then fold each one over in half to make a taco shell.
- To assemble the tacos, spread 2-3 tablespoons of shredded beef on the bottom of a taco shell, top with a thin layer of slaw and a couple of spoonfuls of avocado.
- Serve with extra piece of lime and more green Tabasco sauce to add at the table, if desired.
- This meat freezes well and keeps well in the fridge, so don’t be afraid to double the recipe. If you’re making more meat to eat later in the week, I’d make the slaw and cut up the avocados right before you eat the leftovers, as those won’t keep that well. The meat can also be used to make burritos or eaten over lettuce for taco salad.
I used my Crock-Pot 2.5-Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe. If your slow cooker is much larger than that, I would recommend doubling the recipe so the slow cooker is at least half full.
Pressure Cooker Version:
If you prefer to make the shredded beef in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, you can use my recipe for Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos to make the meat!
I used medium Pace Picante Sauce for this recipe but if you have kids I would use mild.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With low-carb tortillas like I used, Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado would be good for most low-carb eating plans, or eat with lettuce wraps if you want a version that’s Keto. If you’re making this for the South Beach Diet, remember the guidelines recommend meat with less than 10% fat. Other low-carb ingredients like cabbage and avocados make these tacos a good choice for carb-conscious diets, but for South Beach it’s important to use whole wheat or low-carb flour tortillas (and corn tortillas are definitely not recommended.) This recipe would be phase 2 or 3 because of the flour tortillas.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.