Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan
Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan is a delicious side dish, and roasting the cauliflower with the Parmesan makes it even better. This recipe will be a favorite with everyone who loves the amazing combination of roasted cauliflower + Parmesan cheese!
PIN Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan to try it later!
For today’s Friday Favorites pick I’m reminding you about this Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan that’s a low-carb side dish that will always be a hit. And through many, many years of roasting different kinds of vegetables, this is a roasted vegetable dish I’ve made over and over.
I first made this in the very early days of my blog, and I thought I’d about covered the roasted cauliflower possibilities, but it surprised me a few years ago when a failed cooking experiment for Air Fryer cauliflower led to a new version of the recipe.
It happened when my nephew Jake and I tried roasting cauliflower in the Air Fryer and then tossing it with Parmesan, and it was definitely not a method we preferred. But we had the roasted cauliflower that we’d tossed with Parmesan and the oven was hot from another recipe, so we put the cauliflower into a big casserole dish and put it in the oven, just to melt the cheese a bit before we ate it.
And WOW! The melted cheese in the hot oven formed a crispy Parmesan crust on the bottom of the dish. And the new version was such a winner that I decided to update the method in this long-time favorite cauliflower recipe, and that’s how this new-and-improved way of making this dish was born!
Since then I have made this so much more often, and I hope you’ll try it if you like the sound of roasted cauliflower with melty Parmesan!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
What kind of Parmesan can you use for this?
I would use freshly-grated Parmesan or purchased Parmesan that’s coarsely-grated for this recipe. I’m not sure how it would work with the finely-grated Parmesan that comes in a can.
Who else loves roasted cauliflower?
If you’re loving roasted cauliflower like I am, check out Low-Carb and Keto Roasted Cauliflower Recipes for more tasty recipes like this one.
More ideas for roasting vegetables:
For a few years now I’ve been completely infatuated with roasting vegetables. I’ve made classics like Roasted Asparagus, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Butternut Squash, and Roasted Green Beans, and a few unusual ones like Roasted Vidalia Onions, Roasted Radishes, and Roasted Zucchini!
How to make Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Cut the cauliflower in same-size bite-sized pieces.
- Toss cauliflower with enough olive oil so pieces are lightly coated, then season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and toss with grated Parmesan.
- Spread cauliflower out in a single layer in a very large casserole dish and start to roast at 450F/230C.
- Cook 15 minutes, then turn over and cook 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot. That’s all there is to it!
More Recipes using Parmesan with Cauliflower:
- Cauliflower Gratin
- Twice Baked Cauliflower
- Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese
- Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan and Pine Nuts
- Easy Cheesy Baked Keto Cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan
Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan is a delicious low-carb side dish, and I've updated this recipe with a new trick that makes this favorite side dish even better.
- 1 very large head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 T olive oil (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C. Use the largest flat casserole dish you have and spray with non-stick spray.
- Cut away the core of the cauliflower, then cut into small bite-sized florets. Try to make them all the same size and on the small side so they'll all get nicely browned at the same time. (To cut the cauliflower without getting a lot of "crumbs", cut through the stem, then pull the floret apart. This trick works well with broccoli too.)
- Put the cauliflower pieces in a large plastic bowl, add olive oil, and toss until the cauliflower pieces are all lightly coated with oil. (Start with a bit less olive oil and add more if it's not enough to cover the cauliflower.)
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, then toss with the grated Parmesan. (Adjust the amount of cheese depending on how big your head of cauliflower was.)
- Roast cauliflower for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from oven and use a large flat turner to flip the cauliflower over so the melted cheese is on top. Roast 15 minutes longer, or until cauliflower is cooked through and nicely browned.
- Serve hot. This can be reheated in the microwave or in a hot pan, although it's best freshly made.
You need enough olive oil to coat all the cauliflower florets with oil. Use more or less grated Parmesan depending on the size of your head of cauliflower; I used coarsely grated cheese.
Recipe created by Kalyn and updated with a better method in 2017.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Cauliflower is a very low-carb vegetable, and Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan would make a great side dish for low-carb diet plans, including Keto. It could also work for any phase of the original South Beach Diet if you use a moderate amount of oil and cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more side dish recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2011. It was updated with the improved method in 2017 and was last updated with more information in 2023.
46 Comments on “Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan”
This post came at just the right time! I bought a cauliflower but was wondering about other ways to cook it. I usually always end up resorting to the tried and tested cheese sauce version (or as my french boyfriend calls it, "Choufleur Gratinée" – sounds so much more fancy!)
I make this a lot (think I'll make it tonight since yours looks so good!) I usually add some minced or sliced garlic (since I LOVE garlic!) I especially love all the crunchy brown pieces.
Roasting veggies just transforms them to something fabulous!
Behold the humble cauliflower 🙂
Pine nuts would be a great addition to this, but currants would not be South Beach friendly.
Have not heard of the non-stick foil; sounds interesting.
Hi Kayln this sounds good!
You may have this in your kitchen already, but it was new to me – reynolds non-stick foil. I bought a box over the weekend and I think it will work well for roasting veggies.
I get something like this at a lunch place near my office – Between the Bread. It also has currants and pine nuts, which I think would be a great addition!
I love roasted veggies, too. Definitely gonna try this one!
I'm glad people are liking this simple variation for roasted cauliflower. Thanks for the other ideas too (now I must try it with broccoli, where I usually toss on the parmesan after it's cooked!)
I fix broccoli all the time like this but now I'm going to try cauliflower.
The parmesan crust on these must be amazing! I love roasted veggies also…they are my go-to side dish no matter what produce I have on hand!
I Love cauliflower & I love raosted vegetables.
I shall try your version with the Parmesan on our house-full of young gueasts this friday night.
This is one of my staple side dishes. Delicious!
I love all roasted vegetables, but cauliflower in particular. The heat really intensifies the flavor. The Parmesan is an interesting twist.
If you have leftovers, try them in a frittata. You usually put Parmesan in a frittata anyway, so this would be a natural.
I remember the first time I roasted cauliflower! What an eye opener!
I love roasted cauliflower. This is a great recipe.
Roasted cauliflower has so much more flavor and is more satisying than steamed or raw cauliflower. With cheese, it must be delicious!
I love cauliflower and but i didn't as a kid and my mom used to make cauliflower with butter and breadcrumb but i love this idea as well.
Well, I have to trust you on this. I'm not a fan of cauliflower, though I know I should keep trying. And I might! I did try your roasted Brussels sprouts, which also aren't top of my list, and they are delicious.
I have roasted asparagus, but have not thought to try cauliflower. Great idea.
I really discovered roasting veggies this past year. What a difference it makes! I'll have to try this.