Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Pecans
Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Pecans are a delicious option when you want a zucchini muffin without much sugar! Check out Zucchini Recipes for more ideas of what to do with zucchini!
In Utah we’re getting close to the time of year when giant zucchini start to appear overnight in the garden, and even a dedicated zucchini-lover like myself is searching for ways to use them. Last summer I posted Ten Delicious Zucchini Recipes to help those who are zucchini-challenged, but this year I got fixated on the idea of finding a version of zucchini bread or muffins that didn’t use white flour or sugar.
I tried a few recipes that were close, but the winner was this recipe, adapted from the Zucchini Muffins posted by my good friend Elise at Simply Recipes. Elise’s recipe made a lot of muffins, so I cut it in half to make 12 small muffins, which I’ve been enjoying for breakfast the last few days. Even if you think you don’t like zucchini bread, give these muffins a try and I bet they’ll be a hit at your house.
You can grate the zucchini by hand easily enough, but if you’re getting the food processor out to grate zucchini, why not do a bunch of it, and freeze the grated zucchini so you can make these muffins again? Start by mixing a beaten egg, vanilla, sweetener, and Agave nectar. (You can replace the sweetener and Agave nectar with sugar if you prefer.) Next mix the grated zucchini, and then oil, into the wet ingredients. Sprinkle the baking powder and salt over this and mix in. Next combine the white whole wheat flour, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg and mix to combine. (I used whole nutmeg and grated it fresh, which smelled heavenly.)
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, then gently fold in the chopped pecans. (Don’t overmix the batter.) Spray muffin pan or these cute silicone muffin cups with non-stick spray or vegetable oil, then fill with the muffin batter, dividing equally to make 12 small muffins. Bake at 350F/175C for 25-30 minutes.
Of course these were delicious warm with a little butter, and I reheated the leftovers for a few seconds in the microwave!
More Ideas for Zucchini Bread or Muffins:
Low-Carb and Flourless Zucchini Muffins with Pecans
Savory Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Feta and Parmesan
<Savory Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Green Chiles and Cheese
Low-Sugar (or Sugar-Free) and Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread with Blueberries and Pecans
Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Pecans
When you want a zucchini muffin without much sugar give this Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Pecans a try.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 cup Agave nectar (you can also use 2/3 cup sugar to replace the sweetener and Agave nectar)
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (squeezed, then packed into measuring cup)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (can also use melted butter)
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (can also use all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used a generous rounded teaspoon of cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or use walnuts or almonds if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 350F – 175C.
- Grate zucchini by hand or using a food processor, then gently squeeze grated zucchini to remove some of the water.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups (packed) zucchini for this recipe, and if you have extra, freeze it for another time.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat egg, then add vanilla, Stevia In the Raw Granulated Sweetener, and Agave nectar and mix to combine.
- Stir in the grated zucchini, then the oil.
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the top of this and mix in.
- In a smaller bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture, then fold in chopped pecans.
- Spray muffin pan or individual muffin cups with non-stick spray or vegetable oil, then divide batter evenly among cups to make 12 small muffins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (I baked mine exactly 30 minutes to get the nicely browned color in the photo.)
- Let muffins cool a few minutes in the muffin tin or cups, then remove and cool a few minutes more.
- Muffins can be eaten warm or cold, but I like them best warm, and I’ve been microwaving them for about a minute to reheat.
This recipe adapted from Zucchini Muffins at Simply Recipes.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you make these Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Pecans with white whole wheat flour, an approved sweetener, and agave, and using canola oil, this recipe is suitable for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. It’s probably suitable for most low-glycemic diet plans, but this would be too high in carbs for a low-carb diet; try my Low-Carb and Flourless Zucchini Muffins with Pecans for low-carb!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.