Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin (Video)
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole Au Gratin is definitely a treat for low-carb comfort food and this is one of my personal favorite casseroles! And it’s also Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free. Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin.
January can get feeling long if you’re starting or returning to a healthier eating plan, and I created this Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin on a January day a few years back when I wanted some low-carb comfort food. I had ham and cauliflower in the fridge, and thoughts of Low-Carb Twice Baked Cauliflower gave me the idea for this casserole with lots of cauliflower with ham, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, Parmesan, green onion, and cheese. I’d love this delicious low-carb dinner for a cold winter night!
Of course I had to include this one when I updated my collection of 20+ Delicious Low-Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes recipes. There’s not much I don’t love about low-carb casseroles, but one of the biggest reasons I love to make them is the way they guarantee leftovers. And most low-carb casseroles also freeze well, including this one. (Did you know there’s a recipe index page for things that Can Freeze? I love to pull dinner out of the freezer when I don’t want to cook!) This Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin has been wildly popular; hope you enjoy trying it if you haven’t made this one yet!
And since this blog is for all types of carb-conscious diets, I also have some good low-glycemic casserole recipes on the site that might contain ingredients like brown rice, quinoa, or beans. Check out the index page for Casseroles if you want to see all my casserole recipe ideas.
You need at least 6 cups of cauliflower, cut into small pieces. Cook the cauliflower in boiling salted water until it’s just getting soft; don’t overcook. Drain the cooked cauliflower well (at least 5 minutes). While the cauliflower cooks, cut up two cups of lean ham. Soften cream cheese in the microwave for a minute or so, thenmix in the Greek yogurt (or sour cream), Parmesan, and sliced green onions.
Mash the cauliflower slightly (in the pan you cooked it in) then stir in the sauce mixture so it’s completely mixed with the cauliflower and gently mix in the ham. Season to taste with fresh-ground black pepper. Spray the baking dish with nonstick spray or olive oil, put the casserole mixture in in the dish, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and starting to brown and the mixture is hot throughout and starting to slightly bubble.
Let sit about 10 minutes for any liquid in the dish to be absorbed, then serve hot and enjoy! This will keep in the fridge for a few days and reheats well.
Make it a Meal:
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin would taste great with Peperoncini Chopped Salad, American Greek Salad, or Caesar Salad with Kale, Romaine, and Shaved Parmesan for a low-carb meal.
More Tasty Low-Carb Ideas with Cauliflower:
Roasted Cauliflower with Red Bell Pepper, Green Olives, and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Indian Spiced Cauliflower Rice ~ the Food Charlatan
Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles (Instant Pot or Stovetop) ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Garlic and Paprika Roasted Cauliflower ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Fried Cauliflower with Bacon and Mushrooms ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cauliflower Tortillas ~ Recipe Girl
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin
This Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole Au Gratin is definitely a treat for low-carb comfort food.
- at least 6 cups cauliflower flowerets, cut fairly small (1 large head cauliflower or 1 1/2 small heads)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for water to cook cauliflower)
- 2 cups diced ham
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 T finely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (or more, depending on the size of your dish)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Fill a medium-sized pot half full with water, add 1/2 tsp. salt, and start to bring to a boil.
- Cut up the cauliflower into small flowerets, discarding the leaves and core. Put cauliflower pieces into the water and cook at a low boil until the cauliflower is starting to get barely sort. Check it often and don’t overcook; the cauliflower will soften more in the oven.
- While cauliflower is cooking, cut the ham into very small cubes and slice green onions. Put cream cheese into a glass dish or measuring cup and soften it in the microwave for a few minutes. (Or you can soften it on top of the pre-heating oven if you don’t have a microwave.) When cream cheese is soft stir in the Greek yogurt (or sour cream), Parmesan, and sliced green onions.
- When cauliflower is cooked enough to start to soften, pour into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well (at least 5 minutes; don’t rush this step)
- Put the drained cauliflower back into the pot you cooked it in and mash with a potato masher until it’s barely mashed with quite a few chunks left. Stir in the sauce mixture and combine well with the cauliflower; then gently mix in the diced ham. Season to taste with fresh-ground black pepper. (I didn’t use salt because the ham and the Parmesan are both salty.)
- Spray glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I used a glass casserole dish that was about 8″ x 10″.) Pour cauliflower mixture into the dish, spread out evenly, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and all the mixture is hot throughout and starting to bubble. Let sit 10 minutes for any liquid to be absorbed, then serve hot.
- I am assuming that this freezes well, but I still haven’t tried freezing it because I never have any leftovers.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Twice Baked Cauliflower.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole Au Gratin as shown would be suitable for low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic diets. If you’re wanting it to be suitable for the South Beach Diet they would recommend lean ham, reduced-fat cream cheese, fat-free Greek yogurt, and low-fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutritional analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.