Low-Carb Garden Veggie Frittata with Chives and Parmesan
I used zucchini, green peppers, and chives for this Low-Carb Garden Veggie Frittata with Chives and Parmesan, but use any veggies you have on hand for this easy breakfast.
I have a good crop of zucchini, and recently used some in this Low-Carb Garden Veggie Frittata with Chives and Parmesan. What’s better better than cooking with ingredients from your garden, and this was an example of how delicious a simple recipe can be when it’s made with the freshest ingredients. I was a slow adopter for chives, but they added great flavor here. If course you can use green onions if you don’t have chives.
Since I used zucchini, green pepper, and chives from my garden, this seemed like a perfect entry for Grow Your Own, which is celebrating the one year anniversary this month! Grow Your Own is sponsored by Andrea’s Recipes, and also hosted by Andrea for the Anniversary edition. I really enjoyed meeting Andrea at the BlogHer conference this July, and this seems like a fun way to help her celebrate the anniversary of the event.
How to Make Low-Carb Garden Veggie Frittata with Chives and Parmesan:
(This is just a summary of the steps; scroll down for the complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- I started the frittata by cooking some chopped zucchini, green bell pepper, and onion in a little olive oil, seasoned with Spike Seasoning.
- When the veggies were partially cooked, I added the chives (or green onions) and let them cook for just a minute.
- Then I poured in beaten eggs and cooked about 5 minutes. (You can lift up the edge and let the uncooked egg run under the cooked part, but I didn’t need to.)
- Then I sprinkled the top of the partly-set eggs with good quality parmesan cheese, covered and cooked about 5 minutes more. (Use more or less cheese as desired!)
- Since I have a pan with a heat-proof handle, and a great gas broiler that seems made for this use, I always like to put the frittata under the broiler and brown the top, but this is optional.
- Serve hot, with sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce to add at the table if desired.
More Delicious Frittatas with Vegetables:
Mushroom-Lover’s Frittata with Spinach and Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Zucchini and Fennel Frittata ~ What’s For Lunch Honey
Artichoke Rosemary Frittata ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Frittata with Tuscan Kale from Lucullian Delights
- 8 eggs, well beaten
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 cups chopped garden veggies (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 T chopped chives, (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (not packed) coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler if you’re planning to brown the top of the frittata.
- Heat olive oil in pan, then add chopped zucchini, green bell pepper, and onion.
- Season vegetables with Spike Seasoning and black pepper and cook about 5 minutes, until just starting to soften.
- Add 2 T chives and cook about 1 minute more.
- Pour in eggs, lower heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, cover pan, and cook 5-7 minutes more, or until eggs are set and frittata is slightly puffed up.
- If you want to brown the top, place frittata under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, turning as needed, until top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped chives if desired.
I used zucchini, green bell pepper, and about 1/2 an onion but use any veggies you have on hand. If you don't have Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), use any seasoning mix that goes well with vegetables. Use thinly-sliced green onion if you don't have chives. Recipe created by Kalyn when she had an abundance of garden veggies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 248mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
All the ingredients in this Low-Carb Garden Veggie Frittata with Chives and Parmesan, are perfect for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.