Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake (Video)
You’ll love this Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake which is the #1 recipe of all the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen! And for those who care about such things, this tasty recipe is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, meatless, and South Beach Diet friendly; use the Zucchini Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake!
If you’re a food blogger with a mega-popular recipe like this Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake (seen by millions and millions of people), you’ll probably try to ignore the fact that you aren’t all that thrilled with the photo you took more than six years ago when your sister Pam first told you about the recipe! Especially when this recipe turned out to be number one when I spotlighted the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen last summer. But this year when I noticed people starting to visit the recipe again something snapped in my photographer brain, and I decided this amazing and easy way to cook zucchini simply MUST have a new photo. Do you agree that the new photos shows off the deliciousness of this recipe?
When we were prepping the zucchini to reshoot photos I was telling Jake about how originally Pam changed the recipe a little from the one she found in Penzeys Back to School Catalog (in 2011!) and then I changed it a tiny bit more when I tried it, and how Pam and I were both so impressed with how this very basic idea of tossing zucchini with a few fresh and dried herbs and cheese and then baking it can produce a dish that’s so delicious.
And, wow, the Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake from the new photos was just as delicious as it looks! I’ll be honest, I did probably make it a little cheesier this time than the version from 2011, and Jake and I also used a very generous amount of sliced basil since I have some big plants in my window. But I would never dare change the amounts in the actual recipe (other than to add a note that you can use more than is called for on the cheese and basil.) So you can take your choice on that!
The other change I made was to switch this time from an 8-inch square casserole dish to one that was 8 inches x 11 inches. I really did like the way this larger dish let the zucchini spread out more so each piece was covered with cheese, but once again, take your choice on that! And zucchini season is here or neatly here for many of you, so when you get zucchini from your garden or the farmers market, you must try this, or make it again if you’re already a fan!
Steps for Making Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake:
(This is just a summary of the steps shown in the photos; scroll down for the actual recipe.)
- Wash zucchini, trim ends, and cut into slices or half-moon slices for larger zucchini.
- Wash and dry basil (I used a mini salad spinner) and then chop or slice the basil (I used Herb Scissors to get nice thin slices of basil.)
- Chop green onions, then toss together the sliced zucchini, sliced or chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup (or more) of each type of cheese.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground pepper and spread out in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or slightly longer. (Until the zucchini is getting tender when you stick a fork into it.)
- Then sprinkle the remaining grated mozzarella or pizza cheese (and a little more Parmesan if desired) and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is nicely melted and slightly browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Zucchini Recipes to Help You Use That Zucchini:
50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Ten Amazing Low-Carb Recipes for Zucchini Noodles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Low-Carb Zucchini Noodle Soups ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake
You’ll love this Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake which is the #1 recipe of all the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen!
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 – 4 T chopped fresh basil (more or less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup grated mozzarella or other mild white cheese such as Monterey Jack (Use low-fat or full-fat cheese, whichever you prefer. Use a little more cheese if you like it extra cheesy!)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan, plus a little more for the top if desired
(I would use less Parmesan if you only have the very finely grated Parmesan from a can.)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8″ x 8″ or 8″ x 11″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I originally used the small size, but now I prefer a slightly bigger dish.) Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop or slice. (I used a mini salad spinner to dry the basil and Herb Scissors to cut into thin slices.) Slice green onions.
- Combine the sliced squash, chopped or sliced basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, 1/2 grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, or slightly longer. (Pierce a piece of zucchini with a fork to be sure it’s mostly tender.)
- When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella, plus a little more Parmesan if desired. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.
- This kept well in the fridge overnight, but mine was gone the next day so I don’t know if it would last longer than that!
For years now, this Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake has been the most popular zucchini recipe on my blog!
This Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake recipe adapted from a recipe by Karen Niessing in Penzeys Back to School 2011 Catalog, with suggestions from my sister Pam and a few more adaptations by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe is perfect for low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic eating plans. For the South Beach Diet you will need to use low-fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.</>
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.