Carb-Conscious Flatbread Pizza
Carb-Conscious Flatbread Pizza can help satisfy that pizza craving with a lot less carbs than traditional pizza but all of the pizza flavors! [Edit 2020] If you have an Air Fryer you can make Air Fryer Pizza using a similar method as this old recipe! Use
I’ve had one of those weekends where nothing turns out in the kitchen, and the one good thing that happened was that I figured out how to make this completely delicious Carb-Conscious Flatbread Pizza. I wish the photo was better, but trust me when I say this version of diet-friendly pizza is something I’ll be making all the time! And if you use the right flatbread, this tasty pizza can be South Beach Diet friendly as well!
What Can Make Pizza More Carb-Conscious?
So if anyone is wondering how Pizza can be carb-conscious, let’s talk about that first, starting with all the reasons regular pizza isn’t good for carb-conscious diets and the South Beach diet. The ingredients that add carbs to traditional pizza are the crust with white flour and pizza sauce which usually has added sugar. For my carb-conscious pizza use whole-grain flatbread with lots of fiber or high-fiber low-carb tortillas to make the crust. And for the sauce, choose the lowest-sugar sauce you can find. I am a huge fan of Rao’s Pizza Sauce (affiliate link) with only 2 carbs per 1/4 cup, but if you can’t find that one there are lots of pizza sauce options with 3 carbs per 1/4 cup.
Traditional pizza toppings like pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, ground beef, olives, mushrooms, peppers, and cheese are all very low or pretty low in carbs so enjoy! Of course don’t use things like pineapple on low-carb pizza!
How to Make Carb-Conscious Flatbread Pizza:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Start by heating your cookie sheet for a few minutes in a 450F/230C oven, then put the flatbread in the oven and toast one side for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the flatbread over and put 2-3 tablespoons tablespoons of pizza sauce (affiliate link) on the toasted side. I spread it around with a pastry brush.
- Put 1/2 cup cheese over the sauce; use more or less cheese to taste.
- Put pepperoni or turkey pepperoni over the cheese, or any other toppings you like.
- I love mushrooms on pizza, so I sauteed some mushrooms in olive oil and put a layer of those on top of the pepperoni. This is definitely optional, or use any veggie that you like. I would pre-cook most veggies because the pizza only cooks for 7 minutes.
- Finally, I put a bit more cheese over the top of the mushrooms and pepperoni. Some people don’t put cheese over their pizza toppings, so this is definitely a personal preference.
- Put cookie sheet back into hot oven and cook pizza 7-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned and pizza is done. Other brands of flatbread or low-carb tortillas might cook a bit more quickly. Watch it carefully the last couple of minutes.
Serve pizza hot. Cut in half for two servings and serve with a crisp green salad if you want to really keep in lower in carbs.
More Low-Carb Pizza Options:
The BEST Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Recipes with Pizza Flavors
Sausage and Pepperoni Layered Pizza Bake
Low-Carb Deconstructed Pizza Casserole
Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake
Pepperoni Pizza Keto Crustless Quiche
Carb-Conscious Flatbread Pizza
Carb-Conscious Flatbread Pizza can satisfy your pizza craving with a lot less carbs than traditional pizza!
- 1 piece Multi-Grain FlatOut Flatbread with Flax (or other low-carb flatbread or low-carb tortilla of your choice)
- 1 T olive oil, divided
- 2-3 T low-sugar pizza sauce (see notes)
- 1/2 cup grated pizza cheese (plus a bit more to add to the top if desired)
- 12-15 pieces pepperoni or meat of your choice
- 2 oz. sliced mushrooms, sauteed (or use other veggies of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- While oven heats, put flat cookie sheet into oven to heat. (If you have a pizza stone, that would work great here.)
- After about 5 minutes, remove cookie sheet, drizzle on a little olive oil, and spread around with paper towel. (Be careful not to burn yourself on the hot pan.)
- Put flatbread on pan, put in oven and cook 2-3 minutes, just until bottom of the flatbread is slightly toasted.
- While oven heats and flatbread toasts, heat 2 tsp. olive oil in non-stick frying pan, add mushrooms and saute until they’re softened and starting to brown.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and turn flatbread over, then spread 2-3 T pizza sauce on the toasted side, spreading around with your fingers or a pastry brush so there is a very thin layer of pizza sauce on the entire surface of flatbread. (Use a bit more sauce if you prefer.)
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over sauce, and spread around so it covers sauce.
- Layer pepperoni, then mushrooms, over the cheese, finishing with 1/4 cup more cheese if desired.
- Put cookie sheet back into hot oven and cook pizza 7-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned and pizza is done. Other types of flatbread or low-carb tortillas might need a bit less cooking time. Watch it carefully the last couple of minutes.
- Serve pizza hot.
- Cut in half for two servings and serve with a crisp green salad if you want to really keep in lower in carbs.
Rao’s Pizza Sauce (affiliate link) has the least sugar of any sauce I’ve found.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she was strictly following the South Beach Diet and craving pizza! This recipe was updated February 2020.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With the suggested ingredients this pizza would be much lower in carbs than traditional pizza but if you’re really limiting carbs you will want to use portion control. If you use whole-grain flatbread, low-sugar sauce, low-fat turkey pepperoni, and low-fat cheese this should be approved for phase two or three of the original South Beach diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Kid Friendly Recipes to find more recipes your family will love! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.