Curried Lentil Soup with Cilantro
Curried Lentil Soup with Cilantro is delicious and easy to make, and this tasty soup is low-glycemic, gluten-free, dairy-free, meatless, and South Beach Diet friendly! Use Soup Recipes for more tasty soups!
I was talking about soup in September when I got braces on my upper teeth, and last week I got the lower braces on, so it’s soft foods and soup on the menu again around here.
Lentils are one of my favorite things to use in soup, and this version of curried lentil soup in Fine Cooking Annual Volume 3 was really delicious and unusual. I have to admit, taking the braces thing to the next level has been kind of rough, but this soup made a great dinner on a day I didn’t want to chew!
So Many Delicious Recipes for Lentil Soup:
Vegetarian Lentil Soup with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Cumin from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pomegranate Lentil Soup from The Kitchn
Lentil Soup with Ground Beef and Brown Rice from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Hearty Lentil Soup with Carrots, Tomatoes, and Smoked Sausage from Farmgirl Fare
Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spicy Red Lentil and Tomato Soup from Andrea’s Recipes
Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Peppers from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spicy Lentil Soup with Lime from Nami Nami
Lentil and Sausage Soup with Cabbage from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Curried Lentil Soup with Cilantro
Curried Lentil Soup with Cilantro is delicious and easy to make, a great lunch or dinner choice!
- 1 T minced garlic (I used minced garlic from a jar)
- fresh ginger root, big enough piece to make 1 T minced ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (or fennel)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 T olive oil (use more or less, depending on your pan)
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 quart chicken stock
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish the soup
- Chop garlic, ginger, celery (or fennel), carrot, and onion, then place in food processor and pulse several times until all vegetables are finely minced.
- Heat olive oil in heavy dutch oven or soup pot, add vegetables and saute about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in curry powder (I used Penzeys Sweet Curry Powder), stir and cook mixture about 1 minute more.
- Add lentils and chicken stock, bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat until soup is gently simmering.
- Cover pan and cook until lentils are soft, about 45 minutes.
- When lentils are soft, puree half of soup mixture. (I used my immersion blender but if you don’t have an immersion blender, remove half of soup to a blender or food processor and puree, then add back into the soup. Be very careful when blending or processing hot liquid.)
- Taste soup and season as desired with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro (or parsley if you’re not a cilantro fan.)
This recipe would be perfect to make a double batch and put some in the freezer.
Recipe adapted slightly from Fine Cooking Annual Volume 3.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Curried Lentil Soup with Cilantro is perfect for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any type of low-glycemic eating plan, but the carrots in this soup would make it phase 2. (Thanks to Trinijam for noticing I made a mistake on that!) For phase 2 or three, you could also eat the soup with toast made from 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Lentils are too high in carbs to make this suitable for low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.