Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake (Video)
Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake is an amazing dinner idea with cheesy sauce and none of the usual breaded coating!
If you’re looking for a special dinner idea that’s also family-friendly and delicious, I’m highly recommending this Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake as my Friday Favorite’s post for this week. This lower-carb version of Chicken Cordon Bleu has chicken, ham, and cheese with a creamy sauce but none of the breaded coating on the chicken that’s often used for this dish. This is amazing, and its been popular on the blog, and I bet it will be a hit whether you make it for you and your Valentine or for the whole family!
When this idea first popped into my head, I loved the concept of layers of thinly sliced and barely-cooked chicken, ham, and cheese baked with a creamy sauce. But Kara and I had to work on the recipe again and again to get a sauce that wouldn’t cause you problems.
For the keeper version, we whisked a little chicken stock into softened cream cheese and then mixed in mayo, sour cream, Dijon, and Parmesan for a slightly thick sauce. We barely cooked the thin pieces of chicken, layered the chicken, ham, and cheese, and spread the sauce over. And it was a winner! If you like the idea of a Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake that has un-breaded chicken, ham, and cheese with a delicious creamy sauce this might become your favorite new dinner!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- large, thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link)
- salt to taste
- sliced ham
- sliced Swiss cheese
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- cream cheese
- chicken stock or canned chicken broth (affiliate link)
- sour cream
- Dijon mustard
Preparing Ingredients for the Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Cut up the cream cheese into cubes and let it soften in a bowl or an extra-large measuring cup.
- Slice chicken in half lengthwise and cut the ham and Swiss cheese into pieces the right size to fit over a chicken breast.
- Rub each thin chicken cutlet with Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link), then heat olive oil and cook each piece of chicken just two minutes on each side.
- Check your cream cheese (microwave for a few seconds if it’s not soft enough to whisk), and whisk in the chicken stock, sour cream, mayo, Dijon, and Parmesan.
Assembling and Baking the Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake:
- Lay the barely-cooked pieces of chicken out on paper towels, put another paper towel on top, and press to absorb any liquid.
- Put chicken pieces into a large baking dish. (I used a dish that was 10″ x 14″.)
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Spread sauce over with a rubber scraper and top with freshly-grated Parmesan.
- Bake at 375F/190C for 35-40 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot and starting to brown on top.
- Serve hot, and wait for compliments.
- This makes 8 servings, although hearty eaters might eat a whole chicken breast (2 pieces.) You could cut the recipe in half and only use 2 large chicken breasts, but I encourage you to make the whole amount because leftovers were great!
More Tasty Low-Carb Baked Chicken Recipes:
Low-Carb Baked Chicken Stuffed with Pesto and Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Margherita Chicken ~ Shugary Sweets
Low-Carb Baked Chicken Nuggets ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crispy Italian Oven Chicken ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
One Pan Baked Italian Chicken and Tomatoes ~ Real Housemoms
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 large, thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- salt to taste
- 4 slices ham, cut in half lengthwise to make 8 pieces to lay on top of a chicken breast
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half lengthwise to make 8 pieces to lay on top of each slice of ham
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened at room temperature until it can be beaten with a whisk
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place in a bowl or an oversize measuring cup and let it soften while you prepare the chicken.
- Trim fat and any undesirable parts from each chicken breast, then cut each breast in half lengthwise so each one makes two thin chicken cutlets.
- Rub a pinch of poultry seasoning (affiliate link) on one side of each chicken cutlet.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan, add chicken, and cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to paper towels spread out on the counter. (If you have a giant pan you might be able to cook all 8 pieces at once, but most people will need to cook it in two batches.)
- Put another layer of paper towels on top of the chicken and press down so you can absorb any extra water from the chicken.
- While chicken cooks, cut the slices of ham and cheese lengthwise so you have 8 pieces each.
- Lay chicken pieces out in a large baking dish. (I used a dish that was 10" x 14". You might need two dishes if you don't have one that's big enough.)
- Put a slice of ham and then a slice of cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Test the cream cheese and see if it's soft enough to whisk. If not you can microwave it for 20-30 seconds to soften. Then whisk the chicken stock into the cream cheese, followed by the sour cream, the mayo, the Dijon, and finally the Parmesan. The sauce will be thick.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread the sauce over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup grated Parmesan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot and starting to brown on top.
- Serve hot, and wait for compliments!
- Leftovers will keep several days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or in a covered dish in the oven or a toaster oven.
Each chicken breast needs to be thick enough to slice lengthwise into two thin chicken cutlets.
This recipe was created by Kalyn, with help from Kara in perfecting a sauce that worked!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 13gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 156mgSodium: 1037mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 44g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a good side dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet. If you’re making this for the South Beach Diet you’d need to use reduced fat cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream, but I’m guessing it would still be an occasional treat if you’re strictly following South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one! Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.