Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs
This Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs was created when I just found some leftovers in the fridge and turned them into soup! And this tasty soup is dairy-free, gluten-free, low-glycemic, and South Beach Diet Phase Two. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
It was hot and sunny in Utah when I left for Thailand, and I thought maybe I’d have to save these new photos for Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs and update the recipe in the fall. Now I’m home from the trip and it’s cold and rainy here. And am I ever happy to be home, after getting bronchitis and having to stay several extra days in a hotel in Bangkok trying to get well enough to fly! So it’s definitely soup weather for me today, for more reasons than one.
I’m not back to feeling that good yet, but the post with 11 Favorite Recipes with Thai Flavors was up on the blog for days when I got stuck in Thailand, so I want to get something new posted before my jet-lag kicks in and I have to take a nap! It will probably take me a few more days to recover, but when I do I promise to share some photos and thoughts from the trip.
This soup is one that I first made back in 2007 when I was just starting to like sweet potatoes. It’s one of those soup recipes I just made up as I went along, and luckily I wrote down the recipe because it turned out to be a winner. Originally I roasted the sausage but when I updated the recipe for better photos I decided browning it in a frying pan would be an improvement because then you could deglaze than pan with extra water and add that delicious liquid to the soup.
Chop up an onion and saute in olive oil, adding the chopped herbs for the last minute you’re cooking the onion. Then add chicken stock and lentils and simmer 30 minutes.
Brown the turkey Italian sausage well. I like to brown the outside, then cool enough to cut it into half-moon slices and brown again, because the browning adds so much flavor, but you can just brown and slice if you’re rushed for time. Deglaze the pan with some water, scraping off the bits of sausage, and add to the soup.
Once the lentils have cooked about 30 minutes add the browned sausage pieces, a can of petite-dice tomatoes with juice, and the chopped sweet potatoes and cook at a very low simmer about 60 minutes more.
Season soup with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot. A great side dish for this would beArugula and Gorgonzola Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
More Soup with Lentils:
Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
One-of-Everything Lentil Soup~ The Perfect Pantry
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Use It or Lose It Lentil and Escarole Soup~ Farmgirl Fare
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs
This Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs was created when I just found some leftovers in the fridge and turned them into soup!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water, plus more water as needed to deglaze the pan or thin the soup after soup simmers
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 T finely chopped fresh sage (can use frozen sage, if using dried sage use 1/2 T)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (can use frozen thyme, if using dried thyme use 1/2 tsp.)
- 5 links (19.5 oz.) turkey Italian sausage
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 large orange sweet potatoes, coarsely chopped (Orange sweet potatoes are often called yams or sweet yams in U.S. grocery stores)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of the soup pot, add the onion, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Add the sage (can use frozen sage ) and thyme (can use frozen thyme) and cook a minute or two more.
- Add chicken stock, water, and lentils and simmer over low heat while you cook the turkey Italian sausage and chop the sweet potato.
- Heat the other 2 tsp. olive oil to medium-high in a frying pan big enough to hold the sausage. Add sausage and brown the outside well. (Don’t rush this step, browning adds flavor.)
- Let sausage cool and cut in half lengthwise and then slice into half moon slices. (I like to put the cut pieces back in the frying pan again and brown the cut edges, but that’s completely optional.)
- Add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan and scrape up the browned bits from the sausage and add that liquid to the soup.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into medium-sized pieces.
- After the lentils have cooked for 30 minutes, add browned sausage, canned tomatoes with juice, and chopped sweet potatoes and cook at a very low simmer about 60 minutes more, or until sweet potatoes are soft and starting to dissolve into the soup.
- Season soup with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Lentil and Sausage Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Herbs would be good for phase two of the South Beach Diet. Lentils and sweet potatoes are both relatively high in carbs, so this is not suitable for low-carb diets, but you could reduce the carbs in this recipe by using more sausage and less lentils and sweet potatoes.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.