Ground Turkey Green Chile Low-Carb Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Perfectly-seasoned ground turkey taco meat, avocado salsa, and softened tortillas combine to make delicious Ground Turkey Green Chile Low-Carb Tacos that the whole family will enjoy. And these turkey tacos made with low-carb tortillas are also low-glycemic, dairy-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
You’ve probably noticed that I’m a constant cycle of updating old favorite recipes with better photos, and sometimes when I’m updating the photos I can’t help improving the recipe as well. So when I decided to take new photos for these Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos from back in the archives, I realized that I could switch the previously-used black bean salsa for a low-carb salsa and use my favorite low-carb tortillas and this would be a delicious low-carb taco recipe!
And I’m always a fan of avocado salsa on tacos, so that’s how these Ground Turkey Green Chile Low-Carb Tacos with Avocado Salsa got reinvented! Of course I’ll still include the option to use black bean salsa in the recipe for anyone who might have been a fan of the original recipe.
If anyone is thinking that ground turkey might be a bit boring, I promise you there is nothing remotely boring about the perfectly-seasoned ground turkey in this recipe. In fact, if you try it, this might become one of your favorite recipes for tacos! But if you’re not a ground turkey fan, make these delicious low-carb tacos with ground beef and they’ll still be delicious. You can certainly add other toppings like cheese, sour cream, lettuce, or salsa if you wish. But please try these tasty tacos the next time you need a quick dinner idea!
This recipe makes quite a bit of taco meat, so I am adding it to a new recipe category I’m working on called Weekend Food Prep. It will take me a long time to go through all my recipes and pick the ones that are suitable for cooking or prepping on the weekend to eat during the week, but you can take a peek at the new category if you’re a fan of weekend cooking like I am, and I’ll announce it with more fanfare when I have a bigger collection of recipes added there!
Brown the chopped onion in olive oil, then add Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning and cook a minute or two more. Add a tiny bit more oil and cook the ground turkey until it’s well browned. Then add the granulated garlic, petite dice tomatoes, diced green chiles, lime juice, and a little salt and let the mixture simmer on low for about 30 minutes, adding a little water occasionally if needed. (I think this long simmering time really ramps up the flavor, but you could probably get away with slightly less time if you needed to.)
While the meat simmers, finely chop the cilantro and red onion. Dice the avocado and toss with 2 tablespoons lime juice. Then combine diced avocado, red onions, cilantro, one more tablespoon lime juice, and a little olive oil to make the salsa, and when the meat is done you’re ready to eat! If you’re only making a couple of tacos you can heat the tortillas in the microwave or a dry frying pan, but for a larger crowd I’d wrap a bunch of them in foil and heat them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Fill hot tortillas with the spicy ground turkey mixture and top with avocado salsa, or other taco toppings of your choice. Dinner is served!
More Delicious Ideas with Ground Turkey:
Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sweet Potato Mushroom Ground Turkey ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with Basil and Peppers ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Feta Basil Turkey Burgers ~ Fifteen Spatulas
Low-Carb Enchilada Casserole with Ground Turkey and Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats ~ It’s Yummi
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Ground Turkey Green Chile Low-Carb Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Perfectly-seasoned ground turkey taco meat, avocado and cilantro salsa, and softened tortillas combine to make delicious Ground Turkey Green Chile Low-Carb Tacos with Avocado Salsa.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 T Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or use your favorite purchased taco seasoning blend)
- 1 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground turkey (If your store only has 1 lb. packages that will work too, but you need to slightly reduce the amount of seasonings. I would still use the full can of tomatoes but only 1 can diced green chiles.)
- 1 T granulated garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 2 cans (4 oz.) diced green chiles with juice
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (or more if you like a lot of lime flavor; I used my frozen lime juice.)
- salt to taste
- 8 small (fajita size) low-carb tortillas
- Green Tabasco Sauce for serving (optional but good)
- 2 avocados, diced (Replace avocado with 1 can – 15 oz – black beans, rinsed and drained well for the original version of this recipe.)
- 1/4 large red onion, diced small
- 1/2 bunch (or more) finely diced fresh cilantro
- 3 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 T olive oil
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion until it is starting to get nicely browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add taco seasoning and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Then push the onion aside, add another tsp. of olive oil, and add the ground turkey. Cook the turkey until it’s well-browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the granulated garlic, petite dice tomatoes, diced green chiles, lime juice, and a little salt, turn the heat to very low, and let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring a few times and adding a little water if needed. (You can probably get by with a little less time, but the long cooking time combines the ingredients and ramps up the flavor.)
- While the ground turkey mixture is simmering, finely chop the cilantro and red onion.
- Dice the avocado and toss with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. (For black bean version, drain the black beans into a colander placed in the sink, rinse with cold water until no more foam appears, and let the beans drain well.)
- Combine the diced avocado, red onion, cilantro, additional tablespoon lime juice, and olive oil to make the salsa.
- When the meat mixture is nearly done, heat desired number of flour tortillas in the microwave or in a hot dry pan. (For larger groups, wrap tortillas in foil and heat them in a 350F/180C oven for 15-20 minutes.)
- To serve, fold over heated flour tortillas into half-moon shape, open and fill each tortilla about half full with the ground turkey mixture, top with a generous spoonful of avocado salsa, and eat with Green Tabasco Sauce to add at the table if desired. Other toppings can also be used such as cheese, sour cream, lettuce, or tomato salsa.
- This ground turkey taco mixture freezes well, so you might want to double the amount and freeze some for later. (I would not recommend freezing the salsa.)
This taco recipe was created by Kalyn and Jake.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
I used low-carb tortillas, so with the avocado salsa this would be great for a low-carb diet, and also good for any phase of the South Beach Diet. If you’re making these tacos for the South Beach Diet, use ground turkey that’s not over 10% fat. The tacos would be phase 2 or 3 for South Beach, but you could use this ground turkey mixture and make a delicious taco salad or eat in lettuce wraps for Phase one or Keto diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.