Stir Fried Turkey (or chicken) with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers
I love this Stir-Fried Turkey with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers, but use any quick-cooking veggies you’d like for this tasty stir-fry dinner! And if you’re not that experienced with stir-frying, check out the Tips for Chinese Cooking in this post! See Stir-Fry Recipes for more recipes like this one.
I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to get to this Stir Fried Turkey (or chicken) with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers in my quest to update my older recipes with better photos, but I first made this recipe in September 2005, and the photos really needed an update! Maybe it’s because the original version was made with celery instead of peppers, which certainly made the dish a lot less colorful. When I decided to update this I switched the celery for a mixture of red and yellow peppers, and also changed the cooking sauce a little so this could be a low-carb recipe.
I couldn’t resist adding a tiny bit of Sriracha to the sauce as well, but that’s totally optional. Actually you could switch out any of the vegetables here for something else and come up with a dish that’s pretty good as long as you cut the pieces the same size and shape and pick veggies that cook quickly. This recipe is low-carb and gluten-free, and if you use coconut aminos to replace soy sauce and pick an approved hot sauce, it can even be Paleo. Enjoy!
Many ago I took a class in Chinese Cooking taught by a visiting professor from somewhere in China. This was in the days before computers, and he gave us hand-typed sheets of recipes with lots of typos and fractured English language phrases. The food was fantastic, however, and from this class I learned three principles of Chinese cooking that I’ve used ever since. As I cooked this way myself, creating a lot of stir fry recipes along the way, I added principles number four and five.
Principles of Chinese Cooking
- Preheat the wok (before you put the oil in).
- Season the oil (with whole pieces of garlic and sometimes ginger root, which you remove when you add the food to be cooked).
- Symmetry of cut (all pieces must be cut the same size and shape).
- Have all ingredients cut and sauces mixed before you cook.
- Use very high heat and cook fast.
About Carb-Conscious Stir-Fry Cooking
When I became interested in carb-conscious eating I renewed my interest in stir-frying as a cooking method. Most stir fries use cornstarch as a thickener, but I’ve discovered that in many recipes you can easily skip the cornstarch and just let the sauce be slightly thinner.
Preparing Ingredients for Stir Fried Turkey with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers:
- Cut the turkey (or chicken) into slices and then into pieces. (It’s not as important for meat to be all the same size as it is for vegetables, and in this dish I think some irregularity in size of the turkey is fine.)
- Beat together 1 egg white and 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and then stir the turkey into this mixture.
- Slice some fresh ginger root and garlic cloves, which you’ll use for seasoning the oil.
- I used a combination of sliced sugar snap peas and bell peppers for a colorful mix, but you can use snow peas, celery, or any other vegetable that cooks fairly quickly.
- For the cooking sauce whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, ground ginger, water, and the optional Sriracha if desired.
How to Cook Stir Fried Turkey with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers:
- Heat the wok until you can barely hold your hand there, then add the oil and heat a few seconds before adding the ginger and garlic slices to season the oil.
- Remove the ginger and garlic as soon as they start to get fragrant (about 1 minute.)
- Add the vegetables to the wok and stir-fry about 2-3 minutes, just until they are starting to get cooked.
- Remove vegetables to a bowl.
- Add a tiny bit more oil if needed, then add the turkey (or chicken) and cook about 3-4 minutes, until the meat is well cooked.
- (The turkey in the photo is about halfway done.)
- Add the vegetables back into the wok and cook about 1 minute more.
- Then add the cooking sauce and cook 2-3 minutes more, or until the sauce has partly evaporated and the meat and vegetables are coated with sauce.
- Serve hot.
More Stir-Fry Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Stir-Fried Tofu with Scallions, Garlic, Ginger, and Soy Sauce from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Bok Choy Stir Fry with Ginger and Garlic from The Perfect Pantry
Spicy Stir-Fried Broccoli Stems from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Bean and Shitake Mushroom Stir-Fry from Steamy Kitchen
Garlic Lover’s Vegetable Stir Fry with Eggplant, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Stir Fried Turkey (or chicken) with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers
Stir-Fried Turkey (or chicken) with Sugar Snap Peas and Peppers is delicious, but feel free to use any veggies you’d like.
- 8 oz. thinly sliced raw turkey breast cutlets (or sliced chicken breast)
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 T Soy Sauce
- 1-2 T peanut oil (more or less, depending on your wok or pan)
- 2 cloves garlic, each cut into 2-3 flat slices
- several slices fresh ginger root
- 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas (or snow peas)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red, yellow, or orange bell pepper (or use other vegetables of your choice as long as they cook quickly)
Cooking Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 T Soy Sauce
- 1 T Rice Wine Vinegar (not seasoned vinegar which contains sugar)
- 1 T water
- 1 tsp. ground ginger root (not dried ginger; this is sometimes called ginger puree)
- 1 tsp. Sriracha Sauce (optional)
- Cut the sliced turkey (or chicken) cutlets into small pieces.
- Beat together the egg white and 1 1/2 T soy sauce; then mix it with the turkey pieces in a small bowl.
- Cut the vegetables into small slices and slice the garlic and ginger.
- Stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, ground ginger, and Sriracha Sauce (if using) to make the cooking sauce.
- Heat wok or heavy frying pan for 1 minute over high heat, until it looks shimmery.
- Add 1/2 of oil and heat about 30 seconds, then add the sliced garlic and ginger and cook just until they are fragrant, then remove. (Don’t cook them too long or the garlic will get bitter.)
- Add the sliced vegetables.
- Stir fry over high heat 2-3 minutes, until starting to get cooked but still very crisp.
- Remove vegetables from the wok and put in a bowl.
- Add more oil as needed and heat about 30 seconds.
- Add the turkey and stir fry until well cooked, about 4 minutes. It won’t get very brown, but the inside should be well cooked.
- Add the vegetables back into wok, heat one minute, then add cooking sauce and cook 2-3 minutes more, until sauce is partly evaporated and coats the food.
- The egg white helps thicken this dish without using cornstarch, but if your experience has been mostly with Americanized Chinese food, you may prefer it without the egg, in which case the sauce will be thinner.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Stir fry recipes like this Stir-Fried Turkey with with Sugar Snap Peas and peppers, use lean meat and low-glycemic vegetables, and are a perfect dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet. This recipe is low-carb and gluten-free and it can be Paleo if you use coconut aminos to replace soy sauce and pick an approved hot sauce.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information.